2018: 4 Things We Must Believe This Year
by Steve Backlund
What we believe is largely going to determine what we will experience. Romans 12:2 says, "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind." If we only renew our minds with our experiences and our feelings, then we will most likely only repeat our experiences and emotions. With that in mind, here are something not believe this year:
- Things will only get worse.
- Our prayers are not working.
- We are not significant.
- We don't have what it takes.
- We are a victim of what others are doing.
- We cannot overcome our past.
- God has given up on us.
- We will not be provided for.
The nature of faith is to believe truths and promises higher than what we are experiencing. There will never be a convenient time to do this. As we approach this year with its unique opportunities and challenges, I believe there are four crucial beliefs every overcomer needs to intentionally renew our minds with to 2018 be a year of great transformation.
1) We Are Significant and Have a Significant Assignment – As a younger leader I prayed, "Lord, I cannot wait until I can do something great for You." In response to this, I heard, "Steve, instead of waiting to do something great, why don't you do what you are doing right now with great faith, and it will become great." This changed my life. We all are a significant part of the body of Christ, and all have a significant assignment. As we open our eyes to it and "arise and shine" in it, we will experience purpose in a great way.
2) We Can Do It – The story of the twelve spies in Numbers 13 reveals that those who think they can, and those who think they cannot, are both right. Paul said, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." A life of faith not only believes in God but believes God in us removes all limitations off of our lives. 3) The Kingdom is Advancing All Around Us – One of the goals of the overcoming Christian is to see life through the promises of God and through the past prayers they have prayed. They focus on what God is doing rather than dwelling on what He appears to not be doing. They value testimonies of divine intervention and provision because they know it contains the spirit of prophecy for them (Revelation 19:10). And continuing to believe the kingdom is advancing all around us will cause us to see this advancement in greater ways.
4) It's All Going to Be Okay – No matter what happens in 2018, we are going to be okay (actually better than okay). We can believe this because of promises like I Corinthians 10:13, Philippians 1:6, John 16:33, John 11:25, Isaiah 54:17, and many others. Sometimes it is good to "bottom line" things and face the worst thing that can happen. As we do, God's grace will help us remove the fear of that, and then we can build our faith from that point for the higher things that God has.
Hear this Message on our Podcast
If you would like to hear Steve share more about this message on our podcast, click here or the button below.
Beliefs Boosters as you enter the New Year
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.