5 Common Lies Leaders Face
(and Declarations to Take Their Place)
by Steve Backlund
Enjoy this brief and powerful blog post written by Steve Backlund for church leaders on January 12th, 2015.
1. I am the only leader in the world who feels dishonored by those they lead. ha ha!
This is a classic, "I'm the only one!" lie. Whatever you are facing, you can be sure you are not alone. In place of this lie, declare, "I live a life of great honor which causes the people of our church to honor everyone including me."
2. Our church must not be a safe place if there is conflict. ha ha!
Here is a great declaration for a pastor facing a conflict with people in the church, "I consistently turn conflict into Kingdom growth for others and myself."
3. The only way I can be respected is if my people think I do not have any weaknesses – Let's give an extra laugh at that! Ha ha!
Leaders say "My humility and transparency is a powerful aspect of my ministry. I have wisdom for what to share and what not to share."
4. As long as a person is anointed in a church service, it does not matter what choices or attitudes they have outside of the ministry setting. Ha ha!
Here is a powerful belief: "I process information given to me about others in a healthy way. I have and give away keys for success in everyday life."
5. If someone isn’t happy with my preaching, I must be doing something wrong. Ha ha!
Even though we always want to remain teachable and grow in our gifts, the only people who aren't criticized are those who are doing and saying nothing. Great leaders say: "I am confident in what God has called me to do and say.
Other Leadership Resources from Steve Backlund
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.