So you think it's not your personality to laugh much?
Here are some laughable assumptions behind this lie:
- Joy is an optional fruit of the Spirit and is only for certain personalities.
- The Bible was speaking only metaphorically when it said that a merry heart is good medicine.
- Just as some don’t have the right personality to be a loving person, I don’t have the personality to be a joyful person.
- God regrets giving man a sense of humor.
- I cannot be joyful until my circumstances change.
The Truth: As we become more like Jesus, we will experience more joy. “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full” (John 15:11). 4) “In [God’s] presence is fullness of joy” (Psalm 16:11). We may not always be fully joyful in God’s presence; but if we never are, we might not be in His presence as much as we think. I don’t write this to bring guilt, but to help increase our expectation of joy manifesting as we pursue God.
Strategy for Overcoming This Lie: Know that God never commands us to do something that He does not give the grace to do – If joy and laughter are valuable for the believer (which they are), then there is grace available to walk in each. It may take us a while, but we will learn if we don’t give up.
Declaration to Renew Your Mind: I encounter God by faith, not feelings.