The following blog is from our book Crucial Moments: Learning to See God in the Middle of Difficulties. To learn more about this book, here is a six minute podcast by Steve.
Despite all of your campaigning on Facebook, the signs in your yard, and the stickers on the back of your car, someone is elected to office with whom you strongly disagree. “How did God appoint THIS GUY? How on earth am I to honor HIM?” Well, the first step in deciding whether you will accept this happening is to ask yourself if you can you find a way to honor this person, or do you continue your campaign against them?
WHAT TO GET EXCITED ABOUT
- You get to see how God often uses stark contrasts as a way to bring entire countries back to Him.
- You have the opportunity to grow in standing for truth and justice while still walking in honor toward someone who opposes what you believe.
- This is a chance to see that God puts all the kings of the earth in place, and uses His people to shine His light.
STRENGTH THROUGH SCRIPTURE
Romans 13:1 – “Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.”
Proverbs 24:21 – “My son, fear the Lord and the king; do not associate with those given to change.”
1 Timothy 2:1-2 – “Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.”
Remove the signs from your yard and bumper stickers from your car – Even if the politician is undeniably against the views of God, once they are in power, we must not show disunity. We must not be divided as a nation. Plus, it’s a chance to learn how to honor someone with whom you disagree. As we handle these situations with integrity, people will respect your stances in the future, and God will be glorified in your neighborhood.
Become active – If you live in a democracy, you have elected positions in your own community. If you don’t feel called to occupy a position yourself, find someone whom you agree with and God is highlighting to you and support him or her, and find ways to listen to and honor those that have different agendas and opinions.
Pray and intercede – It is impossible for a Christian to pray, declare, and intercede and have nothing happen. Our prayers will make the difference. Even the wicked King Nebuchadnezzar had a life-changing encounter with the Lord in Daniel 4. Just like him, the leaders of today could be one prayer away from a similar experience.
- God always shows up when I don’t agree with those in my government.
- Politicians cannot stop the revival happening in my country!
- [Politician’s name] wants to know God’s heart for him, and will be used by powerfully by God while serving in office. I bless [politician] today.
Crucial Moments: Learning to See God in the Middle of Difficulties
by Steve Backlund
This book helps us upgrade how we think, act, and most importantly, believe in those crucial moments when:
- You feel nervous about speaking in public
- Your house is a mess when people come over
- A politician whose beliefs oppose yours is elected
- You gain more weight than you thought
- You don’t feel like worshipping
…and 47 other opportunities for breakthrough.