Pursuing Miracles But Facing Disappointment
by Steve Backlund
We pray this excerpt from Steve Backlund's church leadership book, Help! I'm a Pastor, would offer keys and encouragement to you as you pursue miracles and healing in your life and the lives of those you lead.
Pastor B. Healed leads a charismatic church and believes in divine healing. However, she and her church are not seeing people healed. They have been pursuing healing like never before – sermon series, fasting, Bible studies, declarations – but no one is getting healed. In fact, one of their key church leaders recently died of a disease they were sure God would heal. Pastor B. Healed is tired of not seeing results and feels like giving up on healing. If you were Pastor Healed, how would you move forward?
LIES ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SCENARIO
- I do not have what it takes to lead this church into healing ministry.
- God is using sickness to build our character and teach us something.
- God has sovereignly chosen our church to not have a healing ministry.
- No one with a powerful healing ministry ever struggled at first to see healing.
LIFE AND LEADERSHIP CORE VALUES TO CONSIDER
- Core Value #7 – My team and I pursue spiritual fathers and mothers we mutually respect.
- Core Value #10 – I create opportunities for those in my church to encounter God in powerful ways.
- Core Value #17 – I thrive in uncertainty, difficulty, and unresolved situations because I have a “word” from the Lord.
- Core Value #52 – I am a God-pleaser, not a people-pleaser.
- Core Value #73 – I intentionally associate with people who are stronger than me in key areas of life and ministry so I will become stronger in those areas.
DISCERNING WHAT GOD IS DEVELOPING IN ME
- I am learning perseverance that will serve me well when the breakthroughs come.
- I have the opportunity to receive an upgrade in my view of God.
- I get to grow in leading people into finding keys to seeing healing released.
QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE TAKING ACTION
- Am I convinced it is God’s will for us to walk in health? Do my doctrinal beliefs in any way limit what we are experiencing?
- What are some things God is doing for me as I wait for breakthrough?
- Who can I meet with that is seeing breakthrough in healing?
- What healing Scriptures am I standing on that I know are true no matter what?
PRACTICAL STEPS TO CONSIDER
- Pursue the Healer, not just healing – Do not let your pursuit of breakthrough distract you from the Lord of the breakthrough. Use this time to seek Him more than just the manifestation of healing. The more you know His heart, the easier it will be to believe Him for what Jesus paid for (Isaiah 53:5-6). God will not withhold healing from you because you are bad. He will not heal you because you are good. He will heal you because of what Jesus has done.
- Put yourself in environments where healing is happening – Many things in the Spirit are better caught than taught. Consider being a part of a conference, healing school, and/or mission trip that focuses on activating believers in the supernatural and in healing. Many of these happenings have a time of impartation that can catalyze someone into more of the miraculous. Bill Johnson says, “If signs and wonders aren’t following you, follow them until they follow you.” If you connect with a speaker or group, consider bringing them to your church to activate and equip your people.
- Lead your church by example by taking risks and praying for people – The culture of a church is shaped from the top down; so as you take risks, it will be imparted to your church. Some of the greatest healing revivalists prayed for hundreds of people before they saw someone healed. John Wimber taught on healing at his church every week for over two years before they saw their first person healed. There has to be a relentless tenacity when pursuing healing. Randy Clark says, “The price you pay for a healing ministry is to push past the disappointments.” Remember: Healing is not our idea, healing is God’s idea. We are not trying to convince Him. He is trying to convince us. When someone steps out and prays for someone, even if they do not experience healing, celebrate the risk, not just the testimony. Make sure to celebrate every testimony publicly.
- Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He still likes to heal.
- I have authority to heal because of what Jesus has done.
- Our church is a magnet for healing, and people around us constantly get healed.
About Help! I'm a Pastor
Help! I Am a Pastor addresses many common situations in church life that few seem really prepared for. It gives tools to successfully addressing these happenings with humor, healthy beliefs, and divine strategies.
The truths presented will help every church leader become more proactive in his or her leadership, plus be able to equip their teams with the core values necessary to create healthy ministries. This book includes 80 life and leadership core values and 50 real-life scenarios of everyday church life.
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.