Shout, for the Lord Has Given You the City!
by Steve Backlund
Read this excerpt from Steve Backlund's Higher Perspectives about the power of partnering your faith with prophetic acts (even creative or unorthodox ones) that the Lord has given you to step into your destiny.
But it came to pass that on the seventh day, they rose early...and marched around the city seven times in the same way. On that day only, they marched around the city seven times. And the seventh time it happened, when the priests blew the trumpets, that Joshua said to the people: 'Shout, for the Lord has give you the city!'...And it happened when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat. Then the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city."
Joshua could have concluded:
- Prophetic acts are only symbolic and have no physcical effect.
- God would never use a creative, unorthodox battle plan.
- They should wait for the walls to start crumbling before shouting.
- They should have a back-up plan ready with more men and better weapons because this was likely not to work.
- This was probably a test from God, and He would be more pleased if they circled the city 10 or 15 times instead of only seven.
- Joshua should not make this bold of a declaration because maybe nothing would happen.
- Prophetic acts are powerful – All through the Old and the New Testament, God instructed His people to do prophetic acts that brought a dramatic shift to the circumstance. In 2 Corinthians 10:3 it says, "For though we walk according to the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh." Often the real battle isn't what we see in front of us; the battle is in the spiritual realm.
- God will only lead you into battles He has positioned you to win – There isn't a single story in scripture where God sends His people into battle, and did not give them a strategy to win. Just like an earthly father wants to watch his kids succeed in life, how much more would God position His children for victory?
- Revelation of what we already have in Christ will bring the shout of victory – Romans 8:37 tells us that we are "more than conquerors." Believing we are victorious is often the most important part of the battle. The essence of faith is to believe something is ours before we have actually experienced it. Let's believe now that we are victorious in Christ!
GIVING GOD SOMETHING TO WORK WITH
- Lead a group of people in a prophetic act.
- Approach an obstacle with a creative solution.
- Make a bold declaration over a seemingly impossible situation in your life.
- Speak up in a group of people with a bold declaration.
DECLARATIONS TO CREATE HIGHER PERSPECTIVES
I am positioned for victory.
My prophetic acts shift circumstances.
My faith declarations demolish strongholds.
click for more "HIGHER PERSPECTIVES"
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.