How to Access Your Spiritual Inheritance
by Steve Backlund
Read this excerpt from Divine Strategies for Increase to learn more about accessing your spiritual inheritance. Learn how you can use the spiritual law of inheritance to work for you (or against you), and how it can cause us to enter into greater intimacy with God.
“A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children” (Prov. 13:22)
This law is revealed in the Bible in passages such as...
- “...visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments,” (Exodus 20:5-6).
- “Therefore the LORD said to Solomon...‘I will surely tear the kingdom away from you...Nevertheless I will not do it in your days, for the sake of your father David,” (1 Kings 11:11-12).
- “Now Joshua...was full of the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him,” (Deuteronomy 34:9).
- “I (Nehemiah) . . . confess the sins of the children of Israel which we have sinned against You,” (Nehemiah 1:6).
- “He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward,” (Matthew 10:41).
This law will work for us to cause increase and blessing if...
we by faith “pull on” the good deposits made in the spirit realm by our ancestors. Honoring God’s laws creates blessings to “thousands” of generations (See Exodus 20:6). Generational blessings are more powerful and long lasting than generational curses. Renouncing generational curses may be a good step, but it’s more important to have the Spirit reveal to us the force of generational blessings.
We can also receive inheritances from key people who are in our lives now. Just as Joshua received wisdom because Moses laid his hands on him, we can receive things we have not worked for. Matthew 10:41 gives insight on how to receive this kind of inheritance: “He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet receives a prophet’s reward.” The inheritance (reward) comes when we do not allow offense to cause us to dishonor a person’s gift (See Mark 6:1-6).
This law will work against us to restrict and impoverish us if...
we don’t believe that Jesus became a curse for us so that we can be free from such things as generational curses. Yes, we may need to take specific actions (forgiving, seeking forgiveness, renouncing, restitution, etc.) to help eliminate the root of the curse in the spiritual realm, but believing in and receiving the finished work of the cross is the most important thing we can do to be free from generational curses.
This law will bring us into a greater intimacy with God because...
it causes us to discover that we are already joint heirs with Christ Jesus of all that He deserves as God’s only Son. (See Romans 8:17.) More importantly, we realize that God Himself is our inheritance. Jesus has opened up a way for us to be with Him in glorious intimacy forever!
I delight in this law by joyfully declaring: I receive right now my generational blessings from Jesus and from my ancestors.
More on strategies for Increase
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.