One of my greatest passions is raising up great leaders who are positively influencing their environments. I have had the privilege of developing many impactful leaders in our Bethel Church environment and beyond. From years of empowering and developing these leaders I’ve created an intentional plan that I use to instil specific beliefs and priorities in their lives. Below I’ve listed 25 areas I focus on as I develop leaders, and included a truth to declare for each of these. As you consistently speak these truths listed below, you will upgrade your beliefs about your identity and increase your hope levels. I’ve witnessed how this has increased influence and effectiveness of leaders.
- Adaptability – I will thrive no matter what happens.
- Hope – I believe the future will be better than the present and I have the power to help make it so.
- Faith – I am thankful that God’s promises and my past prayers are working in my life, my family’s lives, my circumstances, and my nation.
- Forgiveness – My intentional forgiveness creates well-being for others and for me.
- Long-Term Thinking – My beliefs and choices are leaving a positive legacy for generations to come.
- Joy and Laughter – I have strength and longevity because I consistently activate joy and laughter in my life.
- Solutions – In every situation I face, I have many options, solutions, and divine ideas. There is always a solution.
- Beliefs About Others – I see people according to their potential, not according to their past.
- Soul Prosperity – My response to something is almost always more important than the something.
- “Bottom-Lining” – Even if the worst happens, I will be okay.
- Training Focus – My current challenges and frustrations are my training ground for the greater influence I will have in the future.
- Peace – Peace is one of my strongest weapons in prayer.
- Follow Through and Integrity – I make commitments with forethought, and I follow through on what I say I will do.
- Imagination – I use my imagination to activate my faith.
- Identity – I am not who my past says I am; I am who God says I am.
- Staying Relational – I will not withdraw my heart from people who disappoint me or that I hear negative information about. (This does not mean that at times we won’t have boundaries in relationships.)
- Forward Movement – My forward movement in life causes Red Seas to part.
- Courage – I am brave and run at my Goliaths.
- Authenticity – My authenticity connects my heart to people and gives hope to them.
- Unique Purpose – I understand my assignment and giftings, and I know what God’s called me to do and not to do.
- Decision Making – I am a great decision maker and attach faith to every decision I make.
- Being Loved by God – I am unconditionally loved by God and worthy to receive love and blessings today.
- Valuing Process – I don’t wait for perfection to celebrate myself and be joyful.
- Encouraging Others – I radically encourage others daily.
- Spiritual Laws – I honor God’s spiritual laws therefore I increase in favor, finance, health, and happiness.
Try this experiment with me: say the declarations listed above morning and night for 30 days and then let us know what happens. I believe you won’t be sorry you did.
For more on this, please listen to our podcast Life Launching Declarations.
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.