I am not a proponent of positive thinking, but I am a proclaimer of biblical optimism. Hebrews 10:23 tells why: “Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.”
Our hope increases when we believe truth. “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit” (Romans 15:13). Our hope level is the indicator of whether we are believing lies or truth.
Something powerful happens when we believe the truth of God’s promises. “By which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature” (2 Peter 1:4). We do not automatically experience the promises of God; they are brought into our lives by renewing our minds with them (Romans 12:2). One of the main ways to renew our minds with God’s promises is to declare them.
Below are five promises to declare that will ignite biblical optimism. Your hope and faith will rise as you speak them out loud.
- The Promise of Supernatural Ability – “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). “Thank you, Father, that I have supernatural abilities in relationships, in my choices, in my influence, and in all things.”
- The Promise of Supernatural Completion – “Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:6). “Thank You, Father, that You are completing what you have started in me, in my family, my nation, and in the world.”
- The Promise of Supernatural Restoration – “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28). “Thank You, Father, that everything in my past is being turned into an incredibly positive thing for me right now and in my future.”
- The Promise of Supernatural Provision – “And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19). “Thank You, Father, that You are providing my spiritual needs, my emotional needs, my financial needs, my relational needs, my family needs, my ministry needs, my city’s needs, and my nation’s needs.”
- The Promise of Supernatural Solutions – “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can endure it” (1 Corinthians 10:13). “Thank You, Father, that there are divine solutions manifesting for every challenge and every divinely inspired dream in my life.”
As you take time to personalize your declarations for these five promises, you will increase your biblical optimism, plus increasingly see the divine nature manifest in you and around you.
For more on this topic, listen to my podcast here.
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.