13 More Characteristics of
Non – Empowering Meetings
from the newly released book The Culture of Empowerment
by Steve Backlund
Following last week’s blog on the 14 Characteristics of Non – Empowering Meetings are 13 more characteristics of non-empowering meetings. May this check-list allow you to upgrade to another level in your team meetings.
1. The leader crams too much into the meeting and needs to rush through things to fit everything in.
2. Those in attendance do not feel safe to contribute and give feedback, feeling unsure as to whether they would be treated with respect and honor for doing so.
3. There is an inherent climate of fear over having a different opinion than that of the leader.
4. The leader projects an “I have it altogether” persona and feels unapproachable.
5. The leader fails to create a vision for how the meetings fit into the higher purposes and goals of the organization leaving the attendees in confusion.
6. The leader does not value people’s time, thus creating an atmosphere of discouragement.
7. The meetings include surprise announcements that blindside team members without notice.
8. The leader does not anticipate or speak into the anxieties, questions, and concerns the teammates may have.
9. The majority of the meetings are too predictable with little or no room for creativity and discovery.
10. The leader blames subordinates for problems prevalent in the organization.
11. Feedback from the teammates regarding their experience in the meeting is rarely pursued and addressed.
12. The leader ignores negative attitudes from team members allowing the toxic atmosphere to continue.
13. The meetings exclude any form of recap of previous meetings or follow-up.
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.