5 Ways for Parents to Prepare for a Great School Year
by Steve Backlund
School is beginning soon here in the USA. Here are five quick ideas on how to maximize this year with your children:
- Pray for a great year – James 4:2 says, “we have not because we ask not.” Asking for the Lord’s blessing on the year is more powerful than we might think. Also, as we make powerful faith declarations over or about our children’s time in school, it will create life and build our faith for good things to happen.
- Set goals with your children – Meet with them and discuss academic, social, physical, spiritual, and other goals for their year. Develop incentives or rewards for meeting these goals.
- Prioritize heart connection over outward obedience – We cannot let frustration or disappointment cause us to lose our love or belief in our children. Yes, there will probably be some heated moments with our kids, but always look for those moments when you can have heart to heart conversations with your child. Those times will mean more in the long run than what is happening at the school.
- Structure your family for success – It is harder for our children to be successful in school if our home is dysfunctional and in chaos. Wise parents keep learning how to manage time, money, and relationships in a healthy way.
- Develop a strong relationship with school personnel – You and your child’s teachers are a team to bless your child. There will be a greater likelihood of success for the year if you are an involved parent in the educational process.
We realize there are many other ideas for this. Please feel free to add to our list in the comment section of this blog, below.
Let’s Just Laugh at That For Kids!
LJLAT For Kids takes the book, Let’s Just Laugh at That, and adds engaging stories, practical steps, and “laughter weapons” to teach children how to recognize and beat the lies the enemy tries to tell them. This is an interactive journey for adults and children to learn to “take every thought captive” to reinforce truth and hope in their lives. All the lie-defeating weapons of this book are laughter activated, because we believe laughing at what the enemy is saying and planning is key to helping us overcome the power of lies (Psalm 2:4).
Best for ages 6-10. Great as a devotional for parents, children, and groups!
Each of the 20 chapters include:
- A primary lie
- Short story
- Truth to replace the lie
- Declarations to make
- Practical steps to reinforce the truth
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively with his wife, Wendy, throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.