5 Ways to have a Better Christmas this Year
by Steve Backlund
Yes, Christmas is just around the corner. It’s time to prepare for a great time with God and loved ones, and to celebrate together! There are many different ways to have a great Christmas this year, but here are five suggestions:
1. Pray about it – “You have not because you ask not” (James 4:3). Our prayers are powerful and effective. When we ask God to bless our Christmas time, it causes things to happen that would not have happened if we had not prayed. When you agree with a loved one in prayer for a glorious Christmas, the power of prayer increases (Matthew 18:19).
2. Find ways to be less stressed – There are so many good things to do during the Christmas season, but we cannot do them all. Often, when we don’t plan ahead of time, we find ourselves impulsively saying “yes” to too many things or taking on too much emotional responsibility for the happiness of others. The few weeks before Christmas are a good time to pull out your calendar to get a clear idea of what your true priorities are during this holiday season.
3. Bless the poor – One of the best things a family can do is to give to and/or serve the poor during the holiday season. Christmas is the season for giving and it is good to give beyond what we give to our immediate families. Find someone less fortunate than you and bless them in some way. It will make Christmas extra special.
4. Take time to feed your spirit – The Christmas story is incredible. As we bask in its reality and truths, we will ignite a fresh work of the Spirit in our lives. Find a way to spend extra time in His presence or attend something special to connect personally with God this time of year, like a Christmas Eve candlelight service.
5. Focus more on heart connections than on having the perfect Christmas – This season is about relationships (first with God, then with our families, and others). Don’t let perfectionism rob you of the special bonding moments available during the holidays.
At Igniting Hope Ministries, we’re praying you and your family have the best Christmas yet.
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.