The Power of Speaking Scripture
Here is another excerpt taken from the book, You’re Crazy If You Don’t Talk To Yourself,
by Steve Backlund, about activating God’s promises in our lives by speaking them.
“For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven, And do not return there, But water the earth, And make it bring forth and bud, That it may give seed to the sower, And bread to the eater, So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth. It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55:10-11).
Scripture is a powerful force. “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword…” (Hebrews 4:12). There is no substitute for the words of the Bible in our lives. It does not matter how many great prophecies we get or how many fantastic Christian books we read; we must be people who are convinced that speaking Bible verses has a power far above other utterances.
Jesus spoke the Word in the wilderness when combating Satan’s temptations. He did not just think it but spoke those passages that had been made real to Him. He said, “It is written” and then quoted Old Testament passages to disarm the devil (see Matthew 4). We too must get the Word in our mouth and declare it regularly. There is something that happens when we speak or verbally pray the scriptures. You can’t just think your way out of the wilderness, but the Word needs to be spoken.
Here are some scriptural promises to speak. Read these out loud and memorize them. They are life changing.
- I Have Supernatural Ability & Strength – “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).
- I Have Supernatural Hope and Open Doors – “No tempataion [trial] has overtaken [me] except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow [me] to be tempted beyond what [I am] able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that [I] may be able to bear it” (I Corinthians 10:13).
- I Have a Supernatural Completion – I am “Confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in [me] will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:6).
- I Have Supernatural Answered Prayer – “Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him” (I John 5:14, 15).
- I Have Supernatural Wisdom – “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him” (James 1:5).
- I Have Supernatural Provision – “And my God shall supply all [my] need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19).
- I Have a Supernatural Harvest Coming – “He who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully” (2 Corinthians 9:6). “And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart” (Galations 6:9).
- I Have Supernatural Assurance – “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose” (Romans 8:28).
Jesus did not just think His way out of the wilderness and neither can we. He spoke truth to invisible beings and mindsets that sought to restrict and defeat Him. This book reveals that life and death are truly in the power of the tongue and emphasize the necessity of speaking truth to our souls. Our words really do set the course of our lives and the lives of others. (Proverbs 18:21)
Click here to order this book online.
ABOUT STEVE BACKLUND
Steve Backlund was a senior pastor for seventeen years before joining the team at Bethel Church in Redding, CA in 2008. Steve is a leader developer, joy activist, a revivalist teacher, and as Senior Associate Director, is a key part of the Global Legacy (a ministry of Bethel Church) leadership team. He travels extensively throughout the world encouraging churches and leaders and has authored a number of books.